Well for an English assignment we had to write a poem that followed Whitman's poem "I hear America Singing" This is what I came up with...
“I Hear My Country Singing”
By: Angela Staheli
I hear my country singing, the varied carol that I hear,
I hear my socialist leader singing as he graciously takes away my hard earned money and gives it to the “less fortunate.”
I hear the IRS singing as they tax me for all I am worth.
I hear the judge singing while he sentences the father for courageously shooting a man who was robbing his house.
I hear the environmentalists singing as they try to protect the dolphins by raising our gas prices from drilling oil in foreign countries.
I hear our Founding Fathers singing as they weep over the destruction of their life long sacrifices.
I hear the terrorists singing as they plan for a future attack on us in our vulnerable state.
I hear the unborn babies singing as they plead to their mothers not to kill their fragile souls.
I hear myself singing as I see my country going down in eternal destruction.
Yea it's a little depressing... but I wrote it right after I heard Obama had won the election, and I was a bit upset. :( haha but all well, we all carry on!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
angie, nice writing.
Hi, my name is Arit Shumway and I'm commenting on this post because it happens to be your most recent one and I noticed "the carlings" made a comment on it. I'm actually trying to get in touch with Monica. I've tried calling her, but the number I have is disconnected. We were really good friends back in Saint George and now we only live about a half hour away from each other. Please don't think I'm a stalker or crazy or anything. I just really wanted to get a hold of Monica before her baby is due and decided to do some searching on the internet to see what I might come up with. I then happened across this blog. I would have left a message on her blog, but there are no places to comment. My phone number is (435) 669-8452 if you could pass it on to her I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks! Sorry, I know this is a weird way to go about contacting someone =).
Post a Comment